This article can help you to remove Powemet.b Attk Virus. The step by step removal works for every version of Microsoft Windows.
The nasty Powemet.b Attk is a Trojan horse infection. If you encounter this program’s presence on board, you have to take measures. Get rid of the virus before Powemet.b Attk manages to cause some serious damage. Trojans are a particularly dangerous type of malware. These parasites work in silence so they expose you to threats behind your back. For instance, Powemet.b Attk serves as a back door to malware. It may help some vicious ransomware infection get installed thus making your situation extremely problematic. In addition, the Trojan makes numerous unauthorized changes in your PC settings. That includes some dangerous modifications in your system registry. As a result, the virus seriously disrupts your online experience. Many programs don’t run anymore and some important system files get changed/damaged. Note that your permission isn’t remotely involved in these shenanigans. Powemet.b Attk doesn’t bother to seek the victim’s consent. Instead, it takes over your default PC settings. However, the infection may go one step further. Powemet.b Attk could also modify some of your browser settings. Your search engine/homepage, for example, may get altered. It goes without saying that your browsers are no longer trusty in this scenario. If Powemet.b Attk messes with their settings, you’ll be bombarded with pop-ups. Sponsored, immensely unsafe pop-ups. The virus may generate random coupons, discounts, attractive product deals and harmless-looking offers. As long as Powemet.b Attk is present, though, such advertisements are highly questionable. You are only seeing them because hackers attempt to gain profit through the pay-per-click mechanism. Yes, the commercials displayed by a cyber infection could lead you straight to malicious websites. Before you know it, Powemet.b Attk could trick you into compromising your safety further. To prevent that, you have to stay away from any web link this pest may generate. Remember, you’re stuck with a worrisome cyber virus. This nuisance must be uninstalled as soon as possible.
How did I get infected with?
The virus doesn’t need your consent when it gets installed either. Powemet.b Attk is beyond secretive and sneaky. One commonly used distribution method involves spam emails as well as fake messages. In the future, be careful what you click open. If hackers send a certain corrupted email to your inbox and you rush to open it, you get infected. It’s just that simple. We’d recommend that you delete the emails/messages you find unreliable. Avoid email-attachments that seem suspicious because you may accidentally download malware. And having to deal with malware is a much greater hassle than preventing infiltration is. Hence, do yourself a favor and keep an eye out for potential intruders. You definitely won’t regret it. Trojans also get spread online via exploit kits, fake torrents and bogus software updates. Another popular technique is called freeware/shareware bundling. When installing bundled programs, take your time to check out the bundle beforehand. Don’t hesitate to deselect any additional program that you don’t want to install on your computer.
Why is this dangerous?
The infection is sneaky as well as harmful. Quite the combination, isn’t it? Powemet.b Attk makes modifications in your system files and might alter your browser settings too. Eventually, you may get redirected to malicious websites filled with more parasites. You will remain one click away from more infections till you tackle the Trojan. Keep in mind that Powemet.b Attk even spies on your personal information. This pest steals all your IP addresses, passwords, usernames, email addresses. It monitors your browsing history too. To make things worse, Powemet.b Attk might steal some personally identifiable details such as bank account data. You have to protect your privacy because hackers are the last people who should have access to such information. Last but not least, the Trojan may provide hackers remote control over your device. As you could imagine, this program must be removed. To delete it manually, please follow our detailed removal guide down below.
Manual Powemet.b Attk Removal Instructions
The Powemet.b Attk infection is specifically designed to make money to its creators one way or another. The specialists from various antivirus companies like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton, Avast, ESET, etc. advise that there is no harmless virus.
If you perform exactly the steps below you should be able to remove the Powemet.b Attk infection. Please, follow the procedures in the exact order. Please, consider to print this guide or have another computer at your disposal. You will NOT need any USB sticks or CDs.
STEP 1: Track down Powemet.b Attk related processes in the computer memory
- Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys simultaneously
- Carefully review all processes and stop the suspicious ones.
- Write down the file location for later reference.
Step 2: Locate Powemet.b Attk startup location
Reveal Hidden Files
- Open any folder
- Click on “Organize” button
- Choose “Folder and Search Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” button
Clean Powemet.b Attk virus from the windows registry
- Once the operating system loads press simultaneously the Windows Logo Button and the R key.
- A dialog box should open. Type “Regedit”
- WARNING! be very careful when editing the Microsoft Windows Registry as this may render the system broken.
Depending on your OS (x86 or x64) navigate to:
- and delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Then open your explorer and navigate to: %appdata% folder and delete the malicious executable.
Clean your HOSTS file to avoid unwanted browser redirection
Navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked, there will be foreign IPs addresses connected to you at the bottom. Take a look below:
Step 4: Undo the possible damage done by Powemet.b Attk
This particular Virus may alter your DNS settings.
Attention! this can break your internet connection. Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS for Powemet.b Attk, be sure to write down the current server addresses on a piece of paper.
To fix the damage done by the virus you need to do the following.
- Click the Windows Start button to open the Start Menu, type control panel in the search box and select Control Panel in the results displayed above.
- go to Network and Internet
- then Network and Sharing Center
- then Change Adapter Settings
- Right-click on your active internet connection and click properties. Under the Networking tab, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Left click on it and then click on properties. Both options should be automatic! By default it should be set to “Obtain an IP address automatically” and the second one to “Obtain DNS server address automatically!” If they are not just change them, however if you are part of a domain network you should contact your Domain Administrator to set these settings, otherwise the internet connection will break!!!
- Check your scheduled tasks to make sure the virus will not download itself again.
How to Permanently Remove Powemet.b Attk Virus (automatic) Removal Guide
Please, have in mind that once you are infected with a single virus, it compromises your whole system or network and let all doors wide open for many other infections. To make sure manual removal is successful, we recommend to use a free scanner of any professional antimalware program to identify possible virus leftovers or temporary files.